Friday 27 September 2013

pre-ordering "Children of Hoarders"



There's a new book being published next January entitled "Children of Hoarders", and available for pre-order now at www.bookdepository.co.uk. Personally I'm delighted that something is available now for people like me who grew up with a hoarder mother. Not all keep rotting food etc, that's a subset on it's own.

It's easy to not understand what an impact this has if your parent was hoarding while you're a child - it would be bad enough if it starts once you're a young adult. With time & distance I'm in a much better headspace about this than I was in the past but a younger friend has been dealing with it too, and is still in the head-churny stage. I went through that when I realised that not only was my mother a little bit difficult but that it had been an abusive relationship and was a lot wrong.

I do have some of the unhelpful thought patterns of hoarders (seeing the potential in things & feeling somewhat responsible for their becoming reality), but I've worked hard most of my life to overcome actual hoarding. I still have too much stuff, but having read "Stuff: Compulsive Hoarding and the Meaning of Things" I know now recognise that those thought patterns are far from helpful & working through them.

2 comments:

  1. I'd say I have to get myself these books but I've been spending the last few weeks trying to half my book collection (I have far to many). Lets hope they do ebook versions as well. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really struggle to cull my books, and I've a stack that won't fit into any of my bookcases. At least now I have an eReader, they don't take up physical space. "Stuff" is available as an eBook, but I couldn't find their other book "Buried in Treasures: Help for Compulsive Acquiring, Saving, and Hoarding" as an eBook - my excuse for not reading it yet.

      Delete