Monday, 18 July 2011

Dolores was smooth sewing - easy-peasy

Sunday morning I had to sew all of the collar, edge the strips for fabric bows and pop in some small shoulder pads.   My shoes weren't left long enough, that is I should have had them done several days before and not 24 hours in winter. ie cooler.  So a couple of spots the new colour has been damaged (they wanted to stick together if I'd left them).  I'll probably touch them up fairly soon.

Thinks I'm not happy with, the fabric 'relaxed' as I wore it so that it ended up wider than I would like.  A clue should have been that it ended up about 2-3" longer than it was drafted.  I'd realy aimed to have it proportionally the same length as Imelda Staunton's ensembles.

The group I made the costume for, met to have a photo shoot at Sydney's oldest university - lots of sandstone buildings. One of the rooms was open so we took the opportunity for a group shot.

Tuesday, 5 July 2011

the best of the shoes I've made

I designed, drafted, stitched & lasted them.  I also built up the lasts to fit my feet ... and my teachers were suprised how accurately I was able to mirror image the sanding - purely by eyeball.  Actually they were dead impressed, especially when I got out the tape measure and they were spot on.  It helps to be visually dominant.

These are the shoes I'm most proud of.  I mostly made sandals as it's almost impossible to buy them for my bricklike feet. I made a couple of disasters (wedge mules that were ugly fugly clumpen disasters and I only recently threw away).  Now I wish I'd taken decent photos of my sandals (all 11 of them) when they were shiny & new ...and before they'd had a few years of use.

another pic, just cos