Tuesday 21 May 2019

A productive sewing weekend

For a few reasons including migraine and Eurovision semi-final, I didn't get as much done as hoped but I did complete two older UFOS. Well one needs the hem length checked before sewing, and I can get that done this week.

A couple of forgot-to-pack items (elastic to finish the PJ pants, and red thread to sew on buttons) had me d'oh. I thought I'd packed the first but it didn't even occur to me that I needed red for red buttons on a print dress being sewn with grey.

Didn't get a photo of me in either dress so I'll get around to that later in the week.

The older UFO was from March 2016, and had been sidelined for a couple of reasons. I'd originally had black fabric for a contrast collar but it felt too heavy a contrast. I eventually realised that the fabric I bought for the mermaid print dress was far better for this dress. Preferring 3/4 length sleeves, I drafted a contrast + shaped band for the sleeve hem.  If I'd thought about adding more of the lapel fabric before the dress was cut out, I could have added a shaped angled fake-pocket flap to the skirt.  I'm the rare woman who doesn't like pockets, so it didn't occur to me when I avoided the pattern's pockets. I even remembered to include a loop in the waist seam for my work's building/printer pass.







The 100% finished dress is the  February 2017 dress in the Lost at Sea print, originally finished in the same room/retreat back in 2017.  It was very demoralising that it didn't fit, and when I tried taking in the bodice it became clear that the neckline didn't suit me. As it couldn't be altered due to already cut buttonholes, I eventually threw more money at it and got more fabric.  I think that one reason I've procrastinated on finishing the new bodice to attach the already made skirt, is the fear that it still wouldn't look good on me. But you know, even if it doesn't look perfect it's still better than I could buy in RTW. I've included the waist loop (nearly forgot) and as it was done just in time for packing up, will press it before getting a photo.

I need to make a cape/cloak before tacking the next UFO dress-a-month - the mermaid print.

No comments:

Post a Comment