Monday 13 May 2019

Planning for a sewing long weekend this month

I'm returning to an annual sewing retreat, run by one of the Aussie Sewing Guild groups, and am really looking forward to a productive weekend of UFO busting.  Because the retreat isn't close to any shops, let alone a fabric shop,  if you don't take it you won't have it. My nerd response is to make a thorough packing list for projects - fabric, pattern, itemising notions - and casually toss in a smaller bag the clothing I'll need to wear while I'm there. My priority is really obvious.

To be most productive it's best to have I want to sew already cut out. There are a couple of cutting tables set up, but if you get so much more sewing done if all you're doing is stitching and not futzing over a cutting table. Plus with a group of close to 40 the tables get a lot of use for smaller things.

Completing unfinished projects is my theme for this retreat - although I also want to make lots of new things that's always the way. UFO busting is my current priority.   My retreat sewing list is always at least 1 garment longer than the capacity to sew. I learned to pack at least one more project than I can reasonably finish in case something goes wrong with one and I just can't look at it, or it has no mojo at the time.

This retreat's sewing list is
  • 3 pairs flannelette PJ pants - all they need is elastic in the waist.
  • lost at sea dress - 75% done
  • mermaid dress - cut out, no sewing done
  • retro print 40s red floral - about 50% sewn
  • martini dress - all cut out, but front bodice is missing so far, will sew what I can
  • wool cape - cutting it out tomorrow, cos I need it for real life as I don't own a coat
  • regency apron in black silk/linen - it's a maybe if I'm feeling the love for it.
I keep wanting to add new projects but I can't reasonably pack more than this.


No comments:

Post a Comment