Tuesday, 19 March 2013

a glut of unfinished projects (AKA UFOs)

There's a reason I'm not going to start anything else until after my surgery ... my brain might just fry with UFO overload.   I never used to have anything unfinished, but sadly I've become overwhelmed with projects in various stages from cut out to almost finished.

I was about to start looping around self-pity & resignation that I'm not going to get the SfV dress made by the end of this month.  I've got a better perspective today, and I've decided that I'm also not going to cut it out until spring comes around again. If I'm not going to finish it this autumn, then I'm not going to cut yet another UFO out. I'll sew up the bodice toile,  and have it ready for fitting in spring. I may even lose a couple more kg between now & then.

The list below doesn't even include the 2 cotton shirts (1 pink, 1 blue) that have been cut out since forever & that I'm going to pay to have finished.  On Saturday I got more interfacing for the collar & facing, and once I've cut that out, then I can send them on their way interstate. If I'd been smarter & put the interfacing I already have in the box labelled "interfacing" then I wouldn't have had to buy more.  Nor does the list include the 1939 dress that I started this month for Sewing for Victory, cos technically the fabric isn't cut out, only the mockup bodice has been cut out.

What I need to do is start clearing some of this list.  Starting with non costume stuff, if only because I have a real need for most of them, vs a want for the costume stuff.  One of my interstate friends will be with me for a couple of days late in April and she's going to help me fit a couple of corsets & stays. So the 1917 austerity corset will get mocked up, and I'll also get her help to fit the 1885 (?) corset from Salen's book (the exotic one) and 1780s-ish stays from Blanche Payne's History of Fashion. They're front lacing over a stomacher, as well as back lacing.  Need new georgian stays as my pink ones are loose even when laced closed both front & back,

Non costume
- replacement cotton sheers for my main room - cut out
- replacement curtains for my main room, with block out lining - cut out
- flannelette nightie - cut out
- teal knit top - half sewn
- aqua knit top - cut out
- paisley self drafted pattern - 50% sewn
- Decades of Style 1930s matinee blouse - 80% sewn
- blue linen/rayon herringbone 1930s skirt - half cut out
- apron - binding to be added
- Go Petunia's T - cut out

- striped pocket hoops - 80% sewn
- pink white stripe regency saque hat - half sewn
- regency bibfront cotton day dress - 25% sewn
- blue (with tiny black diamond) open robe - half sewn
- regency stays - daffodown dilly pattern, cut out
- regency stays - mantua maker pattern for  faerie_mistress. cut out
- regency stays - Missouri Historical Society, cut out
- 1850s ruffled petticoat - needs levelling & waistband. therefore needs cage crinoline.
- cage crinoline – bag & vertical straps sewn, needs steels & waistband
- stripe lobster tail cage bustle - sewn, needs canes/steels inserted & waistband
- red bustle dress - part cut out
- 1917 austerity corset - toile cut out

Pop Culture
- Hobbit, skirts cut out
- Idris - skirt cut out

No comments:

Post a Comment